Sunday, January 24, 2010

My First Korean Church Service

Hi all!

Guess what! Just when I thought that finally, after 10 months in Korea, I have run out of novel happenings, I finally attended my first church service here in Korea. All in Korean, of course!

A few months ago, one of my students had invited me to church, but since I am hardly ever at home at weekends, I hadn't yet gone. Well, when I was in the US, I went to church with my niece and co, to Every Nation in Nashville, which is where they fellowship, with Ps. Rice Brooks. Well, it felt so good being in church again after such a long absence, that I decided that I really must get back to attending church, even if I can't understand a word. As long as the Holy Spirit is there, then it should all be ok.

So, it is that I have just returned home after my first Korean church service this morning. So, allow me to describe....

The church is called Gunwi Evangelical Church. Morning service begins at 11am, but my students came to fetch me at home at 10:30 already. The church is only a 5min walk from I live. When we arrived, many people were already seated, singing worship songs from hymn books. Fortunately, my student, Hyun Ji, who sat next to me had a Korean-English Bible, which included all the Hymns, Prayers, Scriptures, in both Korean and English. So while everyone else sang in Korean, I could follow the music score and sing along in English! When the choir sang, "What a friend we have in Jesus", she was very surprised that I knew it! (We were not using the hymn books, this was choir only). At first it felt very Anglican, with all the responses, etc. They even recited The Apostle's Creed, which had me a bit confused since it mentions "the Holy Catholic Church". As far as I knew, this is not a Catholic Church. The minister is married. And all the usual Catholicisms are absent. They have a choir in lilac-and-white robes, with their songs in identical pink files, so everything was aesthetically pleasing. The minister was quite impassioned during his preaching. As far as the sermon went, the minister started out with "Africa" and "diamonds". He mentioned these a few times, and that's all I understood. At least I could read the Scripture! (Ephesians 1:11-14). Hyun-Ji had asked me if I wanted her to translate, but I felt sorry for her, and told her there was no need, that she should relax and enjoy the service. And towards the end of the service, my name appeared on the screen in Korean, and I had to stand up so everyone could see me and welcome me. The camera was even focused on me :( Funny that that felt normal :)

After church, it was very heartwarming when so many people came rushing over to greet and welcome me. I had finally returned to my celebrity status from many months before! A few of the cafeteria ladies from school were so excited to see me at church, that they practically ran over other people to grab my arm and kidnap me, despite not being able to speak to me in English! It was very sweet!

Then I had to meet with the Welcoming Committee for coffee and biscuits. And lo and behold, my GP and his daughter also attend this church, unbeknown to me. So someone found her, or she came looking for me (I don't know which...) and she ended up interpreting. She attended high school in America, and so her English is fantastic! I can speak to her as though she is a Native English speaker. (I had met her a month ago, when I visited her father when I had a throat infection, just prior to my trip to the US. She happened to be at the hospital with her dad, so she also sat in on my examination and interpreted where necessary.) She has returned to Korea to attend university in Seoul, so I might not see her again for a long time.

Anyway, so the service ended at 12:20 (Isn't that great?! Nice short service.) And after church everyone has lunch together in the building next-door. And this is what they do every week. It was also really cool to see my GP wearing long pink PVC gloves, doing the dishes in the kitchen!

I then had to meet the pastor's wife and the church elders, who told me that they hoped to see me often. :)

And I was also told that a "server" would contact me either today or tomorrow to pay me a visit at home.

So, it would appear that I am to be well and truly "churched" here in Korea this year. My optician friend attends a different church, next door to the Evangelical one, and he has already told his pastor about me and Bernice, and would like us to meet him. So, it seems there's to be a bit of competition regarding who can bag the foreigner? I hope not.

Anyway, in less than a week, I begin my very loooooong journey back home to you all. YAY!!!!

Love and hugs
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment