Monday, September 7, 2009

Howdy!

Howdy!

So it's been a while since y'all heard from lil ole me, huh?

It's a new record....after inundating y'all with my 'travelogues' I thought it wise to give your mailboxes a break for a week or two. But now I'm back with a vengeance ;)

So, post-holiday, life in Korea is back to normal....almost. But, the fun and excitement continue, of course!

A bunch of us are planning to go traditional Korean at the end of the month. Some folk are coming over from Australia to holiday here in Korea; we have booked out 3 rooms in a traditional Korean village in Andong. Andong is renowned for its rich cultural heritage. It is also THE place in Korea that Queen Elizabeth chose to visit when she came to Korea. Apparently, she told her people to find the most culturally intact place in the country. So, that's where we're headed. I have been looking forward to this since I arrived in Korea, and the time has finally arrived! YAY!

If you can't understand why on Earth I am so excited, it's cos they have a theatre festival! Dammit! A mask-dance festival. So, I'm looking forward to the mask-dance performances, as it gives me something to take back to SA, should I resume teaching drama again. :)

Back at school, I am currently directing a short play for the Gunwi county English role-play contest! And thoroughly enjoying it! I feel like a drama teacher again. I have a small cast of 6. They are some of the strongest English students in the school. I am drilling their pronunciation, etc, but really .... not that much is needed. The lead actor is a naughty little bugger in class; my co-teacher reprimanded him last week in one of her classes (without me), and then he wanted to pull out of the play. She also wouldn't mind if he leaves. But he is a FANTASTIC actor!!! I suggested him for the play, actually, cos, naturally, I could spot his 'performer' nature a mile away. So, today, I had to fight for him to stay, and encourage him by playing to his typical performer's ego......So, naturally, it felt just like the real theatre deal, working with real actors! LOL! The thing is.....my school has never won a single drama contest, and now that they finally have a drama teacher on board, the pressure's on..... If we don't win this year, will it be a reflection of my abilities? Tough-tackie!

I have a new high school principal, who was an English teacher, and is also still very involved with the English programmes in Korea. My co-teachers are nervous, cos now more will be expected of them. Already, new principal wants to start a debating society, essay-writing contests, conversation classes, etc etc etc. Which is no problem for me, as I enjoy seeing and being part of progress, but I think the Korean teachers are already so snowed under with work, that the mere thought of anything extra in itself can be exhausting.

My middle school principal, who was once my English student, but was truant for a while, has returned to my class today. Much to his surprise, I have upped the level of difficulty in order to challenge my students. They are coping just fine, but he obviously struggled today, which made our progress slower......gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

And finally, the most exciting news yet....I have a flight ticket plus visa for my Christmas visit to my niece in the States! We are very excited, as it will be the first time in almost 3 years that we see each other.

A word about the Americans.....you all know I'm not crazy about Americans, and the last place on Earth I ever wanted to visit was the jolly ole US of A. Thanks to my niece, that has all changed. I tell myself that I'm not interested in any sightseeing, as I'm NOT going to the States, but I'm going to spend time with my niece. (Who am I kidding? Shopping, shopping, shopping! 2 x suitcase baggage allowance for the States, etc.....I'm probably also gonna blow up like a hot-air balloon after all the yummy American junk food! LOL! But at least, it'll melt away again once I'm back to my daily Korean food!). Anyway, I do believe in giving credit where it's due. Despite all the problems and stupidity in America, I have never encountered such efficiency in my life!

A week ago, I had made an appointment for an application interview at the US Embassy in Seoul via the internet. Every last minute detail was on their website, everything I could possibly need. I followed everything to the letter, and it worked like a brand-new well-oiled machine! Slick and smooth, no bumps! I arranged to take Friday off from school, took the bus up to Seoul on Thursday evening, had my interview Friday morning, and early this morning (Monday) my visa arrived via courier. This entire process, i.e. research, making an appointment, applying, interview, granting of visa, return of passport, lasted ONE week! Sorted! Over! Finish en klaar! And thus, I credit the US Embassy system.

While in Seoul, I was very cultured! I popped into the Fine Arts museum, and thought very fondly of my ex-colleagues at Battswood. Wish you guys could see some of the art. There was also a drama festival happening across the road. Replicas of popular Korean tv dramas (what we call soapies) had been erected in central Seoul. There were movie cameras on all the surrounding street corners, the public could pose for photos, walk through the movie sets, etc, etc. Nice atmosphere.

Okey dokey, not much news other than that.....

Love and miss all of you,


Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment