Thursday, March 25, 2010

One Year in Korea

Today marks my one-year anniversary in Korea. I feel happy, settled and am enjoying great relationships with my Korean students and colleagues. I have also started Korean classes, and have loads of help and advice from my Korean pals (친구 = cheen-goo = friends). Even my high school principal has come on board with my learning! He checked my homework, and even sent me a bilingual email, to further motivate me to study hard!

I was pleasantly surprised a couple of days ago, when one of the admin ladies came into the teachers' office with a newspaper clipping with a photograph of me! How did this happen?! What are the chances of them actually catching it? Very very sharp eyes, I tell you!

Newspaper clipping of Bernice and I writing our hopes for 2010.




What happened, was this.... On Saturday, after our Korean class, Bernice and I were walking through the downtown shopping district on our way to have lunch, when some Koreans stopped us and asked if we could please write our hopes and dreams for 2010 on this big canvas they had erected in the mall thoroughway. (Now, this happens often here. I've mentioned it last year, as well, when a similar incident occured, only, for local TV at that time.) As a foreigner, you are targeted for tv interviews, newspaper photographs, etc. So it's best to always be on one's best behaviour, be ready with a smile and a cheerful disposition, and be dressed decently!

So, we had finished writing our hopes for 2010, which, naturally, having just completed our first Korean lesson, consisted of something along these lines..... "I hope to be able to speak and read Korean well this year!" (Smiley face included, with curly hair. It's my signature, don't you know?) After all the polite bows, smiles, and effusive thanks (from both sides), as we were heading off to lunch (again), a photographer asked us to please pose at our messages, as though we were writing, for a snapshot. Well, we obliged (as one does in these situations in a foreign country) and lo and behold! Two days later, there was our photo in the most popular newspaper in the area! Yay! My celebrity status remains intact :)

I also find myself with lots of time for reflection. It happens often here in Korea. I realise that I have become comfortable here. I am comfortable in Korea, comfortable in Asia. This realisation brings with it feelings of ambiguity, since I realise that this feeling of comfort can be a good thing, i.e. I am settled and happy with my life. On the other hand, does this mean that I am settling into that dreaded 'comfort zone'? The state of being that becomes restrictive without one necessarily being aware that one is being held back from new adventures and challenges? Without being aware that it is by one's own choice that one is held back? Oh dear! I am waxing philosophical.... Best to stop all this nonsense right now, enjoy the good life while it's here, and let adventure come when it should.

Good words to live by, me thinks :)

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment