Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My New School





Hi all!
I realise some of you have to work....so I won't distract you with too much news. The holiday is over. I'm officially back to work. But am just observing for this week. I'll only begin teaching next week. It's National Test Day today for the students. So I can just sit back and learn.
I have been placed at Gunwi Middle School (Grades 7-9) as well as the High School (Grades 10-12). It's a rural area. But you would never believe it. The little I've seen of the school thus far is extremely modern and comfortable.
The vice-principal and one of my co-teachers fetched me at a nearby town and took me out for a traditional Korean meal last night. Sat on on the floor at a low table, cooking our own meat and drinking Soju (tradtional Korean drink akin to vodka).
My apartment is lovely. I have a nice large kitchen, a laundry room, a study, a lounge, a big bedroom, adequate bathroom, and a big balcony. I am very happy with my accommodation. It's almost 3 times the size of my flat in Claremont! And fully equipped with Korean technology! I still have to get used to operating the UV steriliser (all eating utensils and crockery get sterilised with UV light.)
I am the local celebrity here, of course. The kids can't stop staring. They are curious but friendly and respectful. It takes a bit of getting used to .... having all the children bowing to you all the time. What a change from South Africa!
Wee, I'll have to see how things progress. Till next time...
Bye!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment