Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's me again!


Howzit!
I already don't know how I'm going to keep up with the social side here. I've made quite a few lovely international friends at orientation. Even though we are now split up, we plan to visit each other and in that way see more of Korea.
Here, in my little dorpie, I am also busy making friends. The language barrier makes communication a bit slow, but that's ok, as I'll be teaching the teachers English as well! Those that I have contact with, are already improving quite rapidly!!!
I'm at the high school on Wednesdays and Fridays. Veeeeery long days here! The students only finish class (normal school day) at 6pm! Then all go to extra classes after that still! They are under tremendous pressure to get into university.
Anyway, let me describe a typical day at school here.....
Classes only start at approx 9am. But teachers are at school from 07:30. When you get to school, you change your shoes. Everyone wears slip-ons at school. When you leave, then you put on your outside shoes again - which have been in your locker all day. There are 10min breaks between each class. 40min classes for Gr1-6; 45min Gr7-9; 50min Gr10-12. The breaks are fantastic, after SA! They play music to indicate start and end of classes, not screaming sirens like back home. The teachers' office (or staffroom) is one cosy place to be. Central heating, coffee machines, paper shredder, photocopier, laminator. And each teacher has their own desk and computer. The vice-principal has his desk in the staffroom, where he keeps a watchful, fatherly eye over everyone. The funny thing is, must be a cultural thing, in both schools that I work at, the vice principal's desk area is surrounded with plants! The amount of respect here is phenomenal! The students are in and out of the staffroom, and seem to have a good relationship with the teachers. It's like one big happy family.
The service here is wonderful! They hadn't yet set up my computer at the high school, but wthin 2hours, it was done! Computer reprogrammed, programmes loaded and internet access! Un-freakin-believable! (And this is a rural area! A village actually.)
We are served lunch at school in the cafeteria. I don't even have to spend money on food here, just breakfast and whatever snacks I want or the basics. The lunch at school is too much for even me! There's soup, rice, a meaty stew, salads, veg side dishes, fruit, and today there was cake as well! It's so filling, that one's not really hungry at night. Which is just as well, as the Western products can be a bit pricey. Oh! And everyone brushes their teeth after lunch! (Students and teachers)
Product-wise: they have Pantene, Nivea, Dove, Lux, Pringles, Kellogg's cereal, Lipton tea, etc. But they are, of course, expensive. More than I would pay back home. So far, so good....
Ok, till next time.
Peace and love!

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment