Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Buddha's Birthday Parade and My Polygamous Marriage









Howzit all!
I'm feeling kinda strange this week. Must be coming off my Korea-high.... finally. Missed the cheese festival with those of you who went :( Also missed voting. And missing all the holidays! Boooooo....
I'm not regretting coming to Korea at all. I know there's a divine reason and purpose for me being here, the place is beautiful and the people are generally friendly and kind. But I'm also beginning to understand why foreigners whine so much. It gets lonely, even the loner that I am, has to admit it. It's not something I can directly put my finger on right now, but it just feels strange. Maybe it's the influence of my expat friends. I seem to be attracting lonely expats. The previous weekend, it was Geoff from the US, this weekend it was Martine from Australia. She came over Fri night, stayed over and we went to Daegu again on Sat morning to meet up with others who couldn't make it the previous weekend. Someone got totally lost, we didn't find her, but at least we managed to find Owen, a sweet Brit who entertained us girls thoroughly with his dry quirky Brit humour.
We stumbled - accidentally - on the preparations for a float parade for Buddha's bday (which is May 2nd) but celebrations have already begun weeks ago. The floats were fantastic! Huge and exquisitely made. Lotus flowers, dragons, elephants, etc. (photos on their way) Cups of some strange rice drink (with grains of rice at the bottom of the cup) were pushed into our hands. I was even interviewed for tv. (As foreigners, we are natural targets for that kind of thing.) We were given hand-made paper lotus flowers (Buddha's favourite flower, can't you tell?), we were also pushed into the middle of a traditional band and made to dance for the cameras (oh, the indignity of being a foreigner! - dancing while you're trying to swallow the glutinous rice cake which was also pushed into your mouth by some very serious woman!) while someone loudly bangs a tin cymbal in your ear! Nonetheless, I was very passive, going along with the whims of the locals. Posing for photos with everyone, being eyed up and down by the Indian buddhists who were also there. Why not? Free food and drink in exchange for being the local entertainment's not a bad deal. :)

Next, we took a taxi to the electronic hub of the city, and this is when I got married. Owen decided to tell the taxi driver that both Martine and I were his wives. The taxi driver was quite taken aback, and gave us all very long, hard looks. I was, of course, killing myself laughing, much to Owen's merry amusement.
The electronic hub in Daegu is a massive warehouse (a bit like a Makro back home, but of course, smarter). We didn't even walk around to look at everything. It's was just toooooo much to take in and all a bit overwhelming for Martine. Every section had the same kind of stuff, as far as we could see. Cell phones, cameras, tv's, electronic dictionaries, hand computers, etc,etc, etc. I wanted to buy a camera, and if Owen hadn't been there, I would naturally have bought a pretty little red camera, purely for its colour. As it is, I managed to listen to my 'husband''s advice and bought a silver Olympus for half the price, same function! Defintely way cheaper than in SA. I paid 160 000Korean Won, (R1045.00) !!!
Back in another taxi. Same story of polygamous marriage. This one thoroughly enjoyed it, called Owen a stud, called me beautiful - since I was Wive #1 - and then advised Owen to eat dogmeat for sexual stamina!!!
Went for lunch at a kiddies' restaurant. We didn't care, just wanted food. Of course, the starter was ice cream!!!! Oh well...food's food.
Shoe shopping next, met up with some more friends, and later joined the Buddhists for the beginning of the parade at 7pm. We were handed traditional paper lanterns with candles inside that had to be lit. Some Buddhists invited us to walk with them. I stayed for a short bit and then had to leave to get back home. The giant float lanterns were being lit, and oh my word, it was awesome. My favourite was a giant fire-breathing dragon with moving head and legs. I hope I get to see more of that kind of thing during my stay here. There were these kinds of lotus lantern festivals taking place all over Korea this weekend.


By the way.... for those of you who said I wouldn't be able to find Indian spices here....well. The previous week, Geoff had showed me where the Pakistani and Indian restaurants were. I went for some Breyani takeaway on my home. They refused to let me pay. So I had free food, again! And they also have a little supermarket, where I can buy all my spices. Hello, Korea!!!
And then a VERY VERY VERY LAZY SUNDAY. I spent almost the entire day in bed reading. Almost forgot to do my lesson planning!
Well, this coming weekend, had a few invitations as well. I had to turn down a trip to Busan (Korea's most popular beach and tourist destination), as Ernest from South Africa is coming to visit. More about that next week.
Have a good week, all. I miss you...
Love and hugs
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment