Thursday, April 16, 2009

Summer, Winter, Which Season is it?


Hooowziiiiit!
(I'm teaching my Korean students all kinds of SA stuff.....like "bum" (the one you sit on, of course!) and "Howzit?!" (heeheehee). So much for American English! Although, I shudder just thinking of it: I actually found myself consciously writing the word "favorite" iso "favourite" on the board. Too much explanation, too little time to go into American vs British spelling with them. After all, the textbooks are American. (Aargh!)
Anyhoooo...I am happily making more Korean friends. I learnt how to cook and eat pig intestine last night! (I know, YUKK! is what I also thought at first...but I am being converted, people!). The Koreans might eat some strange stuff, but there's one thing you can go to the bank with... flavour is VERY important to them. And, guess what, for someone like me, who can't imagine eating offal, who can't even stomach (pardon the pun) the thought of eating steak-and-KIDNEY pie, I actually found pig intestine "not bad at all !!!! OMG! I've gone all Korean already!
What's next? Bring it on!
The weather here is at odds and evens with itself. It's Spring here right now but last week it felt like February in Cape Town and this week it's June weather, including rain. At least the moisture in the air seems to have put an end to the daily bloody nose! (The air is very dry here, just like in Jo'burg, which gave me nosebleeds.) Everyone's getting sick around me. I'm trying to remain faithful with my Patrick Holford IMMUNE C - which has been keeping me hale and hearty! Plus, Korean guardian angels keep me regularly stocked with Vitamin C drinks, Red Ginseng drinks, and ion replacement drinks. plus fresh strawberries regularly to keep the immune system going.
A moment of illumination.... I have been placed in my town with much favour from on high. Apparently, this little town of Gunwi has a reputation for its kindness. So, some of my international Native English Speaking colleagues are already telling me that I'm being spoilt here and that they're jealous! LOL!
Some of my expat pals are trying to convince me to attend MudFest (a mud festival) in the hot sticky summer months. Basically, you slide around and wrestle in the mud, fling mudballs at other people, get mud in your eyes, hair, mouth, camera lens (if you don't have a special mud protector, which can be purchased!) etc. It's meant to be good for your skin, acting as a natural sunscreen. Basically, learn to be an elephant! So, maybe I'll be doing that, cavorting in the mud in July. I'll keep you posted, as always.
I just have to tell you a bit more about my high school. It's an experience and a half. I already mentioned to you guys that they play music to indicate beginnings and ends of lessons at schools here. What I didn't mention is that during lunch break (50min) they play K-pop (Korean pop music) for the students to unwind and relax, before they go back to their long school day. How cool is that?! So now that the weather is getting a bit warmer, everyone likes to go out for a post-lunch stroll around the grounds, sit on the benches under the trees, while K-pop music is played over the loudspeakers! Lunch-times feel like a party! It's so cool! I just love it!
"Okey-dokey" (another one I'm teaching my kids here ;) )
I'm a naughty teacher!
Much love and hugs
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment