Thursday, July 2, 2009

Laziness

Hello again to you all...

Still coping in the Cape Winter over there?

I have had a nice calm, restful (lazy week). Thanks to exams, I didn't have to teach, so let me indulge you in what I can get away with here at work....

Monday and Tuesday, I spent both days, beginning and finishing a book - which wasn't hard at all, since it was a Jodi Picoult can't-put-down-page-turner (Perfect Match). Monday evening, we had a staff dinner. This time, they served angler fish - the ugly old fish that sits on the ocean floor, waiting for innocent wandering little fish to pass by. It dangles a fishing rod-type protrusion from its head to entice its prey. Once the prey fall for the joke, the angler snaps open its massive jaw, engulfing poor little fishy :( . Well, this time, I got to eat the angler! My word, what a weird fish! More big bones and spiny stuff than actual fish! At least the fish itself tasted like...fish :) . Its served with wasabi and soy sauce, like sushi.

On Tuesday afternoon, all the ladies were invited to my downstairs neighbour's (English name = Regina) apartment for noodles. Of course, it's noodles in broth, plus accompaniments, and fruit for dessert. Remember, Koreans always serve fruit for dessert. So the good thing is, I am definitely eating more fruit in Korea than I ever would back home!

On Wednesday, at high school, it was the last day before they were to start writing exams, so all I did was spend 5min wishing them well, and then left them to study, while Gyo Lim and I could finalise booking holiday accommodation! (We are so excited!) In Hong Kong, we'll be staying in a Korean Guesthouse - which saves us a ton of money, as the hotels in HK will be quite pricey. In Bangkok, we also found a nice hotel centrally located to the shopping areas, at a good price. We saved quite a bit there as well, so could use the savings towards a villa/bungalow at a really nice, small, luxury beach resort hidden away in a remote area - private beach, private pool, which is great as neither of us really want the rowdy tourist scene. Quiet solitude to get HK and Bangkok shopping fever out of our system. And when the shopping and excitement cravings start up, hop on a boat with local fishermen to nearby islands, city, etc.

Wednesday evening, one of my middle school colleagues phoned me, barely able to speak English, but managed to communicate that they were at school, exercising. Would I join them? So, off I went, and 4 of us spent about an hour walking round and round the sportsground. We have now made this a daily routine, which I much prefer to walking up a mountain before school at 5am!

Tonight, Thursday, it began raining lightly while we were walking. Naturally, we ended up singing Raindrops keep Falling on my Head! A lovely way to destress at the end of the day. They are learning English, i am learning Korean, we are keeping fit and healthy while doing it.... Win-win situation :) . So, as you can see....they are certainly taking good care of me.

I am working at an English camp this weekend, and I'm looking forward to it. I have been doing a ton of prep for it, but it was good cos they want me to do a lesson on South African culture. I'm going to teach the Korean kids how to make an Ndebele artwork; we gonna sing The Lion Sleeps Tonight; some African dancing for good measure; I'm also promoting SA and CT; plus all the food!!! I have been driving the other SA teachers here in Korea nuts, cos I keep posting notes and videos on facebook about CT and unique SA food!

Anyway, more news next week only, cos poor me will be working all day Sunday to pay for my sinful week of laziness :(

Luv you all


Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment