Monday, July 13, 2009

My Second Weekend Camp

Hi all!

I'm sorry to hear about the flooding in CT. Hope you are all ok? Managing to stay dry and warm? (Read a funny post on Facebook yesterday...apparently, there's a show at the Baxter called 'Noah' which had a performance cancelled due to flooding!)

It's been raining almost non-stop on a daily basis here as well. The monsoon season has finally arrived. It's still weird, though....I'll be nice and cool in an air-conditioned room, watching it rain outside, only to be hit by a wall of heat the minute I step out. I think I'm beginning to get used to it, but sometimes it still knocks me for a six.

So, I have now survived my 2nd English camp! Check out the pics of my kiddiewinkles. (These are some of my students at my middle school.....working away very seriously!) It was thoroughly exhausting but oh so rewarding! I now have some students making an extra effort to talk to me in English, post-camp. A group of girls keep coming to find me, whether it's in my classroom or at my desk in the teachers' office, to say hi! and tell me that they're so happy 'cause of the camp, and they can't wait for the next one, and they want to work hard at their English, etc etc etc. I even received an education during one of the breaks from the boys on pop music matters! Adorable!

There's a little girl I must tell you about. She doesn't have any friends at school. She doesn't have a school uniform, so she stands out like a sore thumb. Wears big specs, and I think she must have some mixed blood or something, cos she's one of those rare Koreans with dry, frizzy, light brown instead of sleek black hair. She's as quiet as a mouse, doesn't look for attention, so, naturally I noticed her. One day, during lunchtime in the cafeteria, almost all the tables were full. There were some open spaces at some student tables, but I noticed her standing looking lost, not knowing where to sit. So she's standing in the middle of the cafeteria, holding her lunch tray, looking like a lost little lamb, and of course, my heart constricted in agony for her. I managed to catch her eye, and gestured to her to come sit next to me. She couldn't believe it...did a classic 'Who, me?!' response, looking behind her to check if I was indeed calling her. I continued with my lunch, chatting to my co-teacher opposite me, while she sat down next to me and began eating. I finished my lunch, stayed with her a few minutes longer, then asked her if was ok if I left her to finish her lunch. I'm only painting all the detail cos of the end-result.... This kid totally transformed after that. Now, in class, the little mouse suddenly has so much confidence. She now confidently raises her hand in class to contribute answers, not caring what anyone else thinks. I actually caught some of the other girls telling her to 'mind her place' or whatever it was in Korean, but the meaning was clear. She blatantly ignored them and continued to shine, where before she was happy to go unnoticed.

Things like this remind me that indeed, I must be here to make a difference in someone's life, and I am grateful for the opportunity.

Generally, things here are going very well. So well that it's noticeable. I know one shouldn't question when good things happen, but I can't help but notice and wonder at it all. First of all, my co-teacher, Lee, the one I used to complain about, is like a different person. He is sooo respectful of me now, he even cracks jokes and teases me! He gave his homeroom class such a telling off the other day cos in his opinion they were being rude and disrespectful toward me (meanwhile they are actually one of the best-behaved!). We now have a really good understanding in the classroom and work together very well. He's actually an intelligent, practical guy who can think on his feet. I am now extremely grateful that I ended up with him as a co-teacher.

Next, my female colleagues - especially the older ones - seem to have adopted me, or something. I get apples and watermelon peeled and cut for me, even skewered onto a toothpick or fork and placed in my hand. I get backrubs and shoulder massages, if I look tired or stressed. Even my exercise has become their concern. At one time, this weekend, I came very close to telling everyone to just back off for a moment and let me breathe, let me work! On Saturday morning, breakfast (a plate of apple and a chocolate pie) was placed before me. The admin lady is constantly bringing me iced tea or iced coffee. The minute I express any kind of sentiment, like, Oh, it's hot! or Oh, I'm tired!....yes, you guessed it, there comes a massage, or something cold, or the aircon goes on at full-blast....or I get a fan waved on me! Good grief, for all the jokes I used to make about Cleopatra being my great-grandmother....I suddenly feel like Cleo herself!

There's a boy here, who, whenever he sees me, bows very deep and low, then takes my hand in both of his, and says whatever little English he knows. (I found out today, that his mother is Phillipino. When I first arrived in Gunwi, some older Korean folk thought I was from the Phillipines. Maybe this kid feels a special kinship, who knows?)

Then, I actually couldn't believe my ears! My high school Vice-Principal actually asked me if I'd consider spending a vacation with him! And he wants to see photos of me and Kim Gyo Lim in our bikinis in Thailand!!! FREAKY!!! I'm telling myself that he was teasing....

I also ordered and received biltong and droewors from THE BILTONG GUY here in Korea. Made with Australian beef, local spices and a South African recipe. It tastes good, just like home. And it's soooo much cheaper than in SA!

School closes on Wednesday for 'vacation' - no idea why they call it vacation when the kids and teachers have to continue working! On Wednesday, after school closes, our teachers are going on a field trip to another province called Jeolla-do. Apparently there's a really beautiful beach resort there. 4-5 hrs bus ride to get there, so we'll stay the night and come back the following evening. More news on that when it happens.....

Anyway, that's all for now, I think....

Lots of love to everyone!


Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment