Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My First Weekend Camp in Korea

Hi guys!

Last week, I said that I would have to pay for my sinful week of laziness....well, it's arrived! Punishment time! I have camp planning coming out of my ears!

Anyway, this past weekend saw my first English camp in Korea. It was a lovely introduction. I helped out at a school in a neighbouring town. Oh my word! Talk about rural! Absolutely beautiful country scenery on the drive in. It's a middle school which has...wait for it....ONLY 29 students in the entire school! Three classes consisting of 9-10 students each! Isn't that any teacher's dream? 18 students pitched for the camp, which basically means...almost the entire school student body was at English camp! (Funny, hey?!)

I enjoyed it. The kids were great, although their English ability was generally quite low. But English camps basically focus on just getting the kids to have fun in English! So after ramming SA culture down their throats with our National Anthem, stunning videos of SA and Cape Town, Freshly Ground, bobotie, boerewors, chakalaka, biltong and mopani worms (eeuugh! was their reaction, too - which is rather rich coming from Korea, considering some of the weird stuff THEY eat!). Anyway, I then got them making bookmarks using Ndebele colours and patterns, and I even taught them the Jabulani step, so I could get them to dance while they sang THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT. :)

Geoff teaches at that school, so we had a class each (9 per class!!!) YAY!
Check out Geoff's photo. Just look at what he wore to a school camp! (Read what his t-shirt says!) ANYWAY!!!

So I am now planning for my own school camp this weekend....FRI, SAT, SUN..... Please feel sorry for me :)
I'm actually enjoying the planning though, even though its extremely time-consuming. Nice thing is, I get to do more drama stuff! And YouTube is now my best friend! I'm using it more and more in the classroom, since these kids are so visually-inclined. The best way to hold their attention, is to get them watching images on a big screen! (How things have changed since our school days, hey?)

Anyway, lots more work for me to do.... So this is a shorty...

Lots of love to all,


Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment