Friday, July 24, 2009

A Week of Wonder

Hi all!

What an interesting and exciting week this has been!

Who would have thought it? I've been teaching life science classes in English to 9 students during the summer vac. I have been trying to make it as interesting for them as possible, realising that their poor brains are already having to work overtime, battling with all the English terminology!

So, I have been setting up all kinds of experiments, including a very thrilling experiment with yeast which had me carefully placing a sealed ziploc bag with a yeast/sugar combination and a rapidly growing amount of CO2 gas, outside, where it was safe for it to explode! (I think I was more excited than the students, though, getting to make my first explosive devise! LOL!) We also got flower seeds to sprout in 2 days! Unbelievable, but true, as seeing is believing!

And the gem of the week was the solar eclipse! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Only certain parts of the world ever get to see one, and I just happened to be in Asia for this one! We gathered our students outside, and we all got to witness this wonderful astronomical phenomenon. What a gift! How ironic that I usually missed any lunar eclipses back home, but got to see the magnificent solar eclipse here in Korea! (For those who don't know, lunar eclipses occur approx every 6 months, while solar eclipses occur approx every 18 months - and are only visible in certain parts of the world.)

Yesterday, I accompanied some students to a nearby town to the movies to see the latest Harry Potter film. Beautifully done, and the special effects didn't disappoint, especially when one has read the books, and has certain expectations. I was however, hoping to see an invisible Harry trapped against the wall when Dumbledore is faced with his persecutors! Surely, they could have pulled that one off, considering the other effects they got. Oh well...

One of my colleagues/walking partners rang my doorbell the other night, bringing me some potatoes and green peppers, fresh from her home garden!!! How sweet is the country life!

And would you believe this....today, some students who do not have to attend summer vac classes, volunteered to come clean the school during the vac! Unbelievable!

Well, I have only 2 weeks left to go till my holiday! Yes, I am looking forward to it... But first, I have 2 more English camps to get through. I'm very busy these days, but actually, it's not that stressful, and the time passes quickly. (And who knows? I might have an extended break when I get back, cos us foreigners who leave Korea and return might have to undergo a quarantine period, thanks to the Swine Influenza. You know, Korea is very finicky about germs and diseases, so they take all kinds of precautions regarding who they allow into their country. If I feel sick or display flu symptoms upon my return, possible house arrest for me until I am medically cleared!)

Speaking of which, one of my colleagues (the green pepper lady, Ms Kang) has personally taken me to meet 2 friends of hers, who can speak English and are thus able to assist me if the need arises...an optometrist, and a doctor at one of the local hospitals. The doctor gave me his personal cell ph number, in case I need medical assistance at any time. And he also happens to live in the Gunwi area, so won't be far away in an emergency.

A note on optometry in Korea...they are absolutely horrified when they hear just how expensive eye-care is in the West. It's not just SA, it's the US as well. But here in Korea, every 2nd person wears specs, you see, so of course, it has to be affordable. But brace yourselves.... you can get a new pair of specs, including test and lenses, for as little as 10 000 Korean Won....which is a grand total of R61,30. (that's sixty-one Rand, in case you think I made a typo!) I tell you, we get totally ripped off in South Africa.

I remember a time, while visiting Anton and Maxine with Fran, they had a visitor from Australia who was talking about his horror at how expensive the cost of living is in SA. He said, "one gets nothing for nothing in South Africa". I remember thinking, "Oh no, another South African-Australian, comparing things to cover his guilt at leaving SA during the Struggle years.

Now, however, experiencing a different way of life over here, I can see just how ridiculous the cost of living in SA is. I was thinking today, that perhaps if people were kinder to one another, not so selfish, if people shared more with others, perhaps we'd have less crime and violence. If banks and businesses weren't out to bleed everybody dry of their hard-earned sweat, perhaps poverty wouldn't be such an insurmountable mountain. And now I'm being maudlin, aren't I?

Anyway, it's midnight! I had no idea, busily typing away as I am, enthralled by the wonders and sorrows of the world. :)

Lots of love, as always

Stay warm and good...


Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment